The National Physical Laboratory helps set the standards by which everything is measured – combatting issues on a global scale such as climate change, curing diseases and the development of cutting-edge communications technology. At NPL, our apprentices are making their mark and getting involved in real projects, whilst developing invaluable skills and gaining qualifications.
You will be responsible for:
- Gathering and presenting data
- Running and setting up experiments
- Building and calibration of equipment
- Maintaining and stocking a laboratory
- Assisting Senior Scientists with research
- Helping with Scientific Outreach projects
Upon successful completion of the programme you may be eligible to apply for a permanent role at NPL and continue in your education.
- Good communication skills
- Excellent command of the English language
- Experience of using Microsoft Office
- Mostly, we’re looking for passion and potential
- You need to genuinely want a career in science. Beyond that, we’re looking for someone who’ll thrive in an environment like ours
- You must possess the desire to work towards a BTEC in Applied Science
GCSE at grade C/4 or above or equivalent in English, maths and a science subject.
Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship standard.
You will work towards a BTEC Level 3 in Applied Science by attending weekly lectures. Training is delivered by CSR Scientific Training onsite at NPL. CSR are the UK's leading training provider of laboratory-based apprenticeships and have been partnering with NPL for the last 8 years to train their scientists of the future.