Apprentice Laboratory Technician
St Edward's Rc Ce Va School
Duties & Responsibilities
- Preparation of solutions, materials, cultures for living organisms.
- Assembling apparatus.
- Obtaining materials by local purchase.
- Helping to identify equipment needs in consultation with teaching staff, participating in the selection of new items.
- Trialling practical activities and keeping records of results.
- Carrying out risk assessments for technician activities.
- Maintaining a resource bank of safety information.
- Operating and monitoring systems for the safe storage of equipment, apparatus and materials, including chemicals.
- Constructing and modifying apparatus.
- Maintaining (including cleaning) apparatus and equipment in the science department.
- Organising and storing resources.
- General cleaning of laboratory bench.
- Cleaning of surfaces and fixed equipment.
- Cleaning laboratory sinks.
- Ensuring that laboratories are safe and secure.
- Providing training to small groups of staff or students in relation to safe handling of chemicals and the operation of apparatus/equipment once trained to do so.
The postholder must demonstrate a flexible approach in the delivery of work. Consequently, the postholder may be required to perform work not specifically identified in the job profile but which is in line with the general level of scope, grade and responsibilities of the post.
- Ensuring that all duties and responsibilities are discharged in accordance with the school’s Health & Safety at Work Policy.
- Complying with the school’s Equal Opportunities and other policies and assisting with their development and promotion within the school.
- Ensuring comprehensive procedures notes are compiled for key tasks.
- Any other duties commensurate with the grade of the post.
Equal Opportunities Statement
- Adhere to the Council’s Equal Opportunities policies and ensure anti-discriminatory practice within the service area
- Undertake any other reasonable duties commensurate with the grade as determined by the manager.
To have due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and to follow the child protection procedures adopted by the school and the local authority
Possibility of permanent Science Technician appointment
- Basic knowledge of science in relation to the main subject specialisms and curricular requirements
- A clear understanding of diversity and an awareness of its impact in education
- IT literate and willing to undertake further training as required
A satisfactory Enhanced DBS disclosure
Leadership and Management Framework
- Ability to work proactively in assisting with the daily management and safe and efficient running of technical services to the Science department, use of resources and space
- Ability to organise one’s own tasks with minimum supervision and to set and work to agreed targets
- Be organised and motivated
- Ability to communicate effectively with pupils and persons at all levels
Level 2 qualifications
GCSE (Grade C or Grade 4) in English and Maths
GCSE (Grade C or grade 4) Combined or Separate Sciences or BTEC (Principles or Applications of Science) awarded at Merit.
- Laboratory technician standard (Level 3)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (where applicable)
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.