Apprentice Laboratory Technician
Intertek Pharmaceutical Services Manchester
Based permanently in the Cell Potency team, the role holder will assist with delivery of a comprehensive support service to the laboratory teams. On a daily basis, you will be exposed to learning processes such as the preparation and analysis of samples using a variety of analytical techniques.
You will have the opportunity to grow your skills within a closely monitored environment, which offers a hand’s on approach to learning. Central to this objective is the controlled storage management of samples and reference standards. Other functions will include the regular checking of laboratory equipment.
Role and responsibilities:
To learn and perform routine Cell Potency skills within a laboratory setting.
Under the direction and close supervision of other members in the team:
- Commencing training in practical aspects of one or more techniques, require supervision to generate high quality data
- Commencing external scientific training (aligned to college/training providers course)
- Introduction to theoretical basis of the techniques
- Introduction to some clients’ products and processes
- Problem solving through work based on established methods and well-defined problems
- Work priorities determined through Laboratory Manager and Team Leader
- Dispense and receive samples to and from analysts
- Assist with sample and material disposals
- Respond to alarm incidents generated by environmental storage units monitoring systems
- Carry out routine performance checks, scheduled preventative maintenance and logbook reviews of laboratory equipment such as balances, fume hoods, reagent fridges, pipettes, high purity water units
- Carry out all work safely and be aware of chemical and handling hazards. Report any issue to the supervisor/Laboratory Safety Officer
- Contribute to general laboratory housekeeping under the supervision of the supervisor/Laboratory Safety Officer to maintain the lab and equipment in a safe and orderly state
- Archiving of instrument and other data in line with IPSM procedures and regulatory requirements
- All activities to be documented, as required, in a timely and complete manner
Possible permanent position upon completion of this apprenticeship.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- IT literate with a thorough working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Excellent numeracy skills
- Attention to accuracy and detail
- Methodical and organised
- Organised with good time management skills
- Knowledge of safety procedures, laboratory performance standards, handling chemicals, COSHH
- Communication: written, spoken, liaising, e.g. accurate recording of data to quality procedures (GLP, GMP, GCP etc.)
- Basic understanding of IPSM services and business areas
- Ability to follow established procedures (SOPs) and instructions
- Knowledge and application of appropriate systems and procedures relevant to scientific method
- Results oriented
- An interest in science
- Interested in personal development
- Maintenance of confidentiality
- Team worker
- Ability to prioritise competing workload demands on own initiative
- Motivated and ambitious
- Dedication to delivering excellent customer service
GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in science, English and maths.
Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship standard.
College attendance will be required for the residential element of this qualification.
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free