All tasks will be at a level appropriate to the apprentice’s developing skills. Under the guidance of the laboratory and building managers, the successful candidate would be expected to support all aspects of the laboratories including:
- Learning general laboratory housekeeping, following relevant Health and Safety procedures to ensure a safe working environment is maintained.
- Learning to manage disposal of waste from laboratories.
- With support, carrying out routine maintenance and cleaning of scientific equipment
- Developing skills and knowledge to maintain stocks of chemicals, laboratory reagents, and consumables, purchasing goods and services when necessary
- Assisting the Laboratory Managers in maintaining electronic and other records for general laboratory administration.
- Helping keep all lab areas clean and tidy
- Learning tissue culture skills and assisting with running a tissue culture facility
- Assisting with preparation of compounds and solutions for scientific use.
- Under supervision, communicating with the Goods-In team and organising and distributing incoming goods to their users
- Learning the operation and validation of scientific equipment
- Learning basic IT support, information security and data management
- Assisting in other building support services where required including Goods In, Reception and Glass wash and Autoclave services
- Participate in a regular Annual Review
- Undertake any necessary training identified and continuing professional development in order to stay up-to-date professionally including annual Information Governance training
- Comply with all Health and Safety and relevant Licensing regulations
- Comply with the policies and procedures set out in the Handbook for University Support staff (or) Academic-Related staff
- Any other duties that may be required from time to time commensurate with the grade of the job
Progression within the role after the completion of the apprenticeship. You may be offered a permanent role and be able to continue in your education.
Do you have the passion and commitment to work and learn and study at the same time?
Do you have a passion for science?
You should also have experience of Microsoft Office applications, including Word and Excel. You will need to demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and accurately both through verbal and written communication when drafting information for documents, handbooks or websites.
You will be passionate about starting your career as a technician and enthusiastic about becoming an apprentice at The University of Oxford. Excellent organisational and time management skills, work to deadlines.
To complete the Level 3 apprenticeship standard you will need to evidence passes at 9-4 or A*-C in GCSE (or equivalent) maths and English and ideally a Science subject.
You will be required to complete a two-year training programme that will cover all aspects of the role, which will be delivered through in-house training, and online learning methods delivered by CSR Scientific Training.
You will complete a Level 3 Advanced Laboratory Technician Standard Apprenticeship and gain a Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Applied Science qualification. CSR will also assist you to gain your Registered Science Technician accreditation.