What will the apprentice be doing?
The post holder is primarily responsible for learning how to analyse new issues and requests. This includes taking phone calls from users or helping them in-person, as well as online using live chat and our web-based contact form. They are empowered to resolve most queries, and accurately assign more complicated or time-consuming issues to other colleagues.
Team members are expected to contribute individually and within a collaborative working environment. This helps us to deliver excellent customer service and meet our service standards. The post holder should demonstrate the values of the IT Service Desk by maintaining open and honest communication, collaborating with others and being inclusive and approachable.
Main duties the apprentice will learn:
• Providing first line IT support to staff, students, and visitors, via all the Service Desk’s contact methods.
• Ensuring all contact with users is recorded accurately in the IT Service Management tool.
• Identifying trends within recent and ongoing issues by monitoring incoming incident records and collaborating with colleagues.
• Utilising skills, experience, and documented knowledge to provide solutions to users for the majority of reported issues.
• Accurately triage more complex or time-consuming issues to other support teams, by building a thorough understanding of our services and support teams.
• Developing a broad understanding of the University’s organisational structure, business functions, strategic aims, and key stakeholders to accurately assess the impact of issues.
• Participating in ITIL-based Incident and Problem Management in line with documented processes.
• Updating the IT Services Status Page and social media in response to service outages.
• Occasionally carrying out remote desktop support to resolve minor issues.
• Ensuring that technical solutions are documented within the IT Service Management tool for future reference.
• Being an advocate for our users and escalate whenever IT support is falling below expected levels, to ensure issues are resolved in acceptable timescales and excellent customer service is delivered.
• Contributing to the creation and maintenance of knowledge base articles, ensuring documentation is easy to follow, written in Plain English and tailored to the correct audience.
• Any other duties that may reasonably be required in line with your position within IT Services or to help deliver excellent customer service.
• Supports equality and values diversity, moderates own behaviour to avoid unfair discriminatory impact or bias on others.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Apprentices will recieve internal training on the IT service desk and customer service expectations. In addition apprentices receive bespoke off the job training from our provider University College Birmingham.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Customer Service Officer
1st or 2nd line Support roles in our IT service desk
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, IT skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Problem solving skills, Administrative skills, Analytical skills, Logical, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English (Grade C or above (4-9)) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C or above (4-9)) Essential