An apprentice horticultural assistant will be required to carry out the following duties whilst being trained:
- Raise plants from seed and cuttings
- Provide appropriate care during the plants' lives
- Keep accurate records
- Watering, weeding and feeding
A pay review will take place once three full months have been completed. A permanent full-time position may be available at the end of the apprenticeship.
Even when it's raining you will be expected to be outside, although every effort will be made to reduce the time spent out in extreme weather conditions. Some of the jobs can be boring and repetitive but must be completed to a high standard. A good attitude to learning is vital.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Good learner
- Able to take direction
- Have good attention to detail and able to use own initiative
- Confidence to ask if you don't understand what is being asked of you
- Good time keeping is essential
- Be able to take instruction and work in a team or independently
- Physically fit
- An interest in plants and happy to work outside all year
- Confidence to ask questions
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and maths at grades 9-4/A*-C or equivalent for a Level 3 Apprenticeship and 9-3/A*-D or equivalent for a Level 2. Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants regardless of entry requirements will be emailed an Initial Assessment to complete as part of the recruitment procedure. This is an online assessment in English and maths and can be completed at your preferred location remotely. Currently, due to COVID19 we are not offering Initial Assessment appointments at either campus. Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, will be offered further advice and guidance to support their application if required.
Horticulture/Landscape Operative Standard.
- Emergency First Aid at Work
- Safe use of Pesticides
- Functional Skills maths and English