Description of the job.
Maintaining the area of the golf course and surrounding areas to a high standard, as directed by the Head Greenkeeper.
The activities undertaken will include:
- General upkeep of all areas of the golf course including bunkers, pathways, ponds and riverbanks
- Set up golf course, including changing holes, moving tee markers, drop zones and hazards
- Carry out day-to day instructions and directions as given by the Head Greenkeeper or Assistant to the Head Greenkeeper
- Help operate the irrigation system
- Reporting back to the Head Greenkeeper on a daily basis with course conditions
You will be responsible for:
- Ensure the golf course is kept to a high standard at all times
- Dealing with all people you come in contact with during your working day in a courteous and professional manner
- Ensuring you wear all the protective clothing and footwear provided to carry out certain jobs
- Ensure all job activities are completed to a satisfactory standard and in a timely manner
- Ensuring that all duties are carried out in accordance with Health and Safety regulations as detailed in the Company rulebook
The person carrying out this role must:
- Be willing to undertake tasks involving manual labour work outdoors all year round
- Have a minimum qualification NVQ Level 2 certificate in Sports and Amenity Turf Management, or City and Guilds equivalent. Note this is not essential
- Hold PA1, PA2A spray certificates. Note this is not essential
- Have knowledge of modern irrigation systems. Note this is not essential
- Have knowledge of fertilisers and pesticides with their application and modes of action. Note this is not essential
- Be prepared to get ‘stuck in’ and be very much ‘hands on’
- Have a proven track record of working within a golf club/greenkeeper or landscaping environment
- Effectively manage your own workload and work in an unsupervised environment
- Be reliable and willing to work flexible hours on occasions
This job description is not exhaustive and the postholder may be required to undertake other appropriate duties and projects from time to time.
The long term prospects of a full time role with further training and development are excellent for the right candidate who proves to be reliable, flexible on hours to meet business needs, along with the dedication to successfully complete the apprenticeship.
Please bear in mind the physical nature of this role.
You will be standing for large parts of your working day.
As of course outdoor work at times you will be hot, cold or wet.
- You will have a passion to begin a career as a golf green keeper
- You of course will enjoy outdoor work in all weathers
- You will understand the need for flexibility regarding hours to meet business needs
- Both customer service and communications skills need to be considered, as at times you may well be asked questions from members
- You will be able to work both independently as well as when part of a team
- You will have a minimum of GCSE grade 3 in maths English and a science subject
Entry onto the apprenticeship is subject to a thorough initial assessment to establish course suitability. Ideally applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs including English and Maths at grades 9-4 for an Advanced Apprenticeship and 9-3 for an Intermediate. Apprentices need to be employed for a minimum of 30 hours a week in the industry with a contract of employment.
Proof of qualifications will be required before you can be accepted onto the apprenticeship.
PLEASE NOTE: Those without the stated entry requirements or awaiting GCSE/GCSE retake grades, may be offered an appointment to come into college (Ipswich or Suffolk Rural (Otley) campus) and sit an online assessment to confirm program suitability
- Golf Greenkeeper Level 2 Qualification
- College Attendance: No College attendance.
- Training for all job specific tasks will be given
- In addition the apprentice will have the support and guidance of a qualified assessor from the college, who will make on-site visits every 6-8 weeks