This apprenticeship combines ‘block release’ training at college with on-the-job training at a depot near your home. At college you will learn skills to ensure that all small tools and heavy machinery is well maintained and complies with agreed standards.
The rest of the time you will be a key employee at one of our branches. You’ll learn how to:
- Maintain and repair machines and equipment, including replacing parts and checking and calibrating instruments
As well as learning from the best in the business, you’ll gain a range of qualifications and skills to drive your career forward, working towards obtaining initially a Level 2 Intermediate, and then the Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Construction, Plant Maintenance through Myerscough College.
An apprenticeship with Vp Group allows individuals to learn, work, earn and get qualified all at the same time.
You will receive competitive pay, along with on-the-job training and development at college leading to a nationally recognised qualification.
Your Apprenticeship will last 3 years and will look like the following:
In Year 1 you will undertake basic tasks such as inspecting plant machinery with your line manager guiding you through this. You will attend a Myerscough College in the north-west of England on block release for a total of 16 weeks staying away from home. Don’t worry about the costs of your travel and accommodation as this will be taken care of for you.
In Year 2 you will build upon what you learnt in Year 1. You will diagnose faults and repair and service plant machinery. During Year 2 you will attend college for 10 weeks, requiring you to stay away from home.
Year 3 will see you have more responsibility where you will advise on repairs to plant machinery returned by customers. You will be able to diagnose complex faults with plant machinery. During Year 3 you will attend college for 10 weeks, requiring you to stay away from home.
When you have completed your apprenticeship and have gained experience as a Fitter, there are various career opportunities available to you.
The Brandon Hire Station branch is located at:
- Unit 2, Royce Road Industrial Park, Fleming Way, Manor Royal, Crawley, RH10 9NX
Please ensure you have adequate and sustainable transport to travel to the branch.
- Good communication skills
- Any relevant work experience is desired
- To work hard
- Show you’re serious about developing a career with us
- Be enthusiastic, hardworking, and punctual
- Want to be part of a successful business
- The ability to work well within a team
- A genuine interest in plant maintenance
GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in maths and English Language.
Level 2 Land-based Service Engineer - Construction Pathway apprenticeship standard using a work-based delivery model with attendance at Myerscough College - block release.
This will include:
- Level 2 Work-based Diploma in Plant Maintenance (Construction)
- Level 1/2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
The course is delivered with classroom and practical training in:
- Single and Multi-Cylinder Engines
- Transmission Systems
- Hydraulic Systems
- Powered and Non-Powered Braking Systems
- Compression and Air Tools
- Steering and Suspension Systems
- Functional and operational testing
- Testing and diagnostic procedures
- Welding and fabrication