Our UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) systems are highly advanced pieces of power electronic hardware. They are designed to deliver an uninterrupted supply of power to our customer’s mission critical equipment, such as servers or communication racks, to ensure that during power outages or surges this equipment is kept online.
Our UPSs are installed in a wide variety of locations, and so our Apprentice Field Service Engineers will need to be ready to work on our customers sites across the South of the UK. From data centres, high security facilities, and manufacturing plants, to comms rooms in some of the most iconic buildings in the City of London our engineers will carrying out their vital work.
The Apprentice Field Service Engineer role will be based in the Service department at KUP. When not at college or undertaking project work or secondments, our apprentices will be working alongside our Field Service Engineers, learning the electrical and electronic skills required to complete the following tasks to
- Undertaking preventative maintenance visits on UPS systems
- Commissioning of our UPS systems
- Planned and reactive interventions on UPS systems including fault diagnosis and repairs
- Supporting our customers through site attendance, and by phone and email
- Writing detailed accurate and factual reports on the completion of every job
- Delivering on site training to end users of our equipment
- Configuration of network cards to allow remote monitoring of UPS systems
- Installation and commissioning of battery monitoring systems
- Assembly and test of our low range UPS systems in our warehouse
- Workshop repairs of modular UPS system components
BTEC Level 4 Higher National Certificate in Engineering.
Once the program is successfully completed apprentices will have the opportunity to become Field Service Engineers at KUP. There is a diverse range of roles within the organisation for future progression such as Senior Field Service Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, supervisory opportunities or our Projects team. The skills and knowledge learnt during our program will give the apprentice a fantastic start within the electrical and electronic engineering industry.
The first year of the apprenticeship program will be full time at Kingston College, apprentices will need to be able to make their own way to the college. KUP will subsidise some transport costs.
As this is a predominantly field based role it will involve a lot of travel. If the applicant does not already possess a full driving licence it will be a requirement to obtain a one as soon as possible. In Year 2 when apprentices have successfully finished their 1st year of college, KUP will supply a van for transport.
Due to the nature of the role it will on some occasions necessitate working overtime, such as early starts, late finishes or during weekends. This overtime will be paid, and KUP will ensure the working time directive for age categories are complied with.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK, and as because we gain access to many high security facilities it will be necessary to be able to pass security checks into your background and previous history.
- Applicants must excel at maths, Science and English
- We are also looking for candidates who are great with IT
- Excellent communication and organisational skills
- Applicants need to be highly motivated to further their careers by continuing their studies whilst learning new practical skills
- The job role also requires a confident positive attitude, along with flexibility and commitment
- We also expect our apprentices to demonstrate integrity and honesty at all times whilst setting high standards of performance
Candidates must have a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) including a minimum of grade C (4) or above in maths, English and Science.
This is a four-year program, which will result in the award of a Mechatronics Engineering Technician Standard apprenticeship, consisting of the following qualifications:
- Level 2 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering - Mechatronics Maintenance Technician.
There will also be a range of secondments, projects, and formal training courses to build skills and knowledge in electrical and electronic engineering.