Overall Purpose of Job:
To support the delivery of a high-quality dispensing service to patients, carers and others visiting and/or otherwise contacting the dispensary.
Principal responsibilities will include:
- Adhere to current practice Standard Operating Procedures and Protocols regarding the processing of prescriptions
- Receive and transfer prescriptions
- Collect repeat prescription requests from the appropriate post points
- Process prescription requests from repeat, secondary care and as per GP request
- Deal with patient enquiries both face to face, via electronic message and over the telephone; explain procedures to new patients; ensure all required documentation is completed
- Respond promptly and appropriately to patient needs e.g. queues, confusion, sickness, calling for help as and when required to do so
- Ensure that refrigerated items are stored at the appropriate temperature and to maintain a temperature control record/logbook
- Dispose of patient returned, unused medicines and sharps bin returns
- Ensure that the dispensary is kept clean to maintain a high level of hygiene and that all equipment is in good working order
- Monitor refrigerator temperature and report any anomalies
- Bag dispensed items as appropriate to await collection
- Use the Practice clinical system (SystmOne) to process and record information in an accurate and timely fashion in accordance with Practice policies and procedures
- Adhere to PPE and other safety requirements
- Work towards being a competent and independently working dispenser
- To work as part of the busy team providing basic administration support and to develop customer service skills
- To adhere to the strict rules on confidentiality
- Any other duties as requested
Future ProspectsSeveral of our apprentices have been offered a permanent role at the end of their apprenticeship. Some have expanded their role to include clinical skills including giving patients advice about giving up smoking or performing ECGs.
Reality CheckThe role involves accuracy as you will training to dispenser (give the correct tablets) to the patient as per the instructions from the clinician. The role involves standing and unpacking of boxes. The role involves a lots of computer screen time.
- Able to understand and follow instructions.
- You must be able to work in tidy and methodical way.
- You need to be computer literate.
- You should be motivated, reliable and committed to team working and your personal development.
- You must have the ability to take pride in work.
- You should enjoy working with the public.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs including Maths & English both at grade 4/C and above.
Level 3 Pharmacy Technician apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)