What will the apprentice be doing?
Your main duties will be assisting the dentist with preparing instruments and equipment, mixing different materials as required and providing suction support.
You will undertake your practical duties such as:
- Cross infection control and decontamination.
- Chair side clinical treatments supporting the dentist.
- Processing of x-rays.
- Accurate record keeping in line with the GDPR.
Possible rotation in the practice may also involve working in central decontamination and reception duties.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- The Apprentice will be working towards the Level 3 Dental Nurse Apprenticeship Standard for a duration of 24 months which includes the City & Guilds Level 3 Extended Diploma in Dental Nursing.
- College attendance will be at the Colchester Institute (Colchester Campus) one day per week during term time.
- During the course all students are observed regularly in the workplace undertaking clinical duties and ensuring they are following safe working practice.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship you will gain a Licence to Practice Qualification that will allow you to register with the General Dental Council and you can apply for registered/qualified positions.
- There may be opportunities for you to study further and apply for other positions within the Dental Industry.
Reality CheckThe successful applicant will be required to undertake a DBS check and complete a course Hepatitis B vaccinations. Commencement of work can be negotiated individually depending on personal circumstances and commitments, such as GCSE or A-Level examinations.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Customer care skills, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience, Trustworthy, Manual dexterity
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent 5 GCSEs including English and maths (Grade A*-C/9-4) Essential
GCSE or equivalent science is also preferred for career progression (Grade A*-C/9-4) Desired