What will the apprentice be doing?
- To assist with washing/showering, dressing, getting up and going to bed.
- To assist with toilet functions – using the WC or commode, emptying and cleansing the commode.
- To renew and/or empty catheter bags using clean, careful techniques and hygiene control procedures.
- To assist the Service User with prescribed dossetted medication only, with the exception of injections and controlled drugs.
- To undertake health care tasks under the direction of a health care professional.
- To assist the Service User with menu planning, preparing a meal, if required and/or assisting with feeding and diet monitoring.
- To assist with supporting clients to attend medical appointments, walking, and exercising.
- To assist with shopping and pension collection.
- To assist in letter reading and writing, assist with aids such as talking books.
- To provide companionship and conversation.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- The apprentice will be working towards the Adult Care Worker Level 2 apprenticeship standard.
- Qualifications will include the Level 2 Diploma in Care.
- All delivered within the work place via online training and at Colchester Institute Campus.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Opportunity to qualify as a Community Carer and then if successful take on a Senior Carer role mentoring and supervising other carers.
Reality CheckApplicants must be at least 18 years old as this role could involve lone working at times. At the beginning the apprentice will be working with another carer, once they are deemed to be competent there are different shifts that are lone working and some ‘double up’ shifts that always require 2 carers. This role involves providing personal intimate care in clients homes. Work will based in the local community.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Team working, Initiative, Non judgemental, Patience
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent maths and English (Grade 9-2/A*-E) Essential