What will the apprentice be doing?
Based in our busy kitchen at Kempton Park Racecourse, duties would be varied. You will assist the other chefs whilst working in a team producing good quality food. Tasks could include, but not limited to:
- To prepare and cook menu items as directed by the Sous / Head Chef.
- To assist with stock taking when required.
- To assist in the development and planning of menus, including future food trends, and to be passionate about developing new styles of service and concepts in the location.
- To ensure that customers are given a prompt and efficient service and expectations are consistently exceeded.
- To be customer focused at all times, approachable and quick to exceed expectations in fulfilling customer needs.
- To be a team player, assisting other team members when necessary.
- To treat members of the team at location as you would expect to be treated.
- Assist with stock, deliveries and waste management, checking and recording in line with company policies.
- To gain an understanding of food costing, sales mix and menu planning.
- To take responsibility for contributing towards your own development with the guidance of the Head Chef and attend training courses as identified.
- To show commitment to company values in all aspects of your role.
- To act as a positive ambassador for the business.
There is no supervision of other staff.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Alongside your day to day duties, you will complete the Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship. This is a nationally recognised qualification and the primary objective of the Commis Chef is to learn and understand how to carry out the basic functions in every section of the kitchen. You will be supported through this qualification by your Personal Development Coach who will visit you at your place work every 6-10 weeks. You will also attend a minimum of 6 workshops including an Introduction day at a location outside your normal place of work. All travel expenses will be covered by your employer. You are not expected to complete any of your Apprenticeship work outside of your normal working hours and will be given set time each week to complete your work.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You will be encouraged to develop your career progression through the apprenticeship program.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Attention to detail, Organisation skills, Customer care skills, Number skills, Logical, Team working, Creative, Non judgemental, Physical fitness, Passion for Food
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English Language (Grade 4 / C) Desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 / C) Desired