What will the apprentice be doing?
The primary responsibility is to assist residents who need help with activities of daily living in accordance with their individual care plans, reporting immediately any changes noted with regard to their health and/or general well-being. To provide care and support for all residents under the supervision of Senior Care Assistants/ Nurses/ Care Services Manager.
- Ensuring a homely and uncluttered environment for residents, including making and changing of beds, tidying resident rooms and communal areas
- Helping those residents who have limited mobility or physical disabilities, using the mobility aids provided in the Home to access all areas if they choose
- Serve drinks, meals, snacks etc., to both residents and visitors as required and assisting residents who may require help with eating and drinking in a dignified manner
- Help provide stimulation to residents by conversing with them and assisting them to continue with, or take up, new hobbies and activities such as those organised by the Activities Co-ordinator or provide assistance to partake in formal activities when requested
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure the safekeeping of residents’ property, for example carers should familiarise themselves with residents clothing, making sure that it is correctly labelled and returned by the laundry staff to the correct room
- Ensuring that the Nurse Call alarm system is answered in a timely manner and assistance is provided where required
- Assist the trained nursing staff to provide specialist care for those residents who may be temporarily unwell and to offer comfort and ongoing support to those who may be dying and their supporters
- Reading and writing reports and taking part in resident meetings when requested
- Assisting with the cleaning and maintaining of equipment used by residents e.g. commodes, wheelchairs, walking aids
- Maintaining the safety of residents, staff and visitors at all times, ensuring that any accidents or dangerous occurrences are reported immediately to the Management. Reporting immediately any faulty appliance, damaged furniture or equipment and/or potential hazard to the Manager/Care Service Manager/ Maintenace Manager or in their absence to the Nurse in Charge
- To complete the Adult Social Care Level 2 qualification as part of a fully funded apprenticeship programme. To participate in the required learning and assessment process and to meet all deadlines associated with the qualification programme. You will be given time off and support to do this.
- To work shift patterns (Monday to Sunday) in accordance with the rota communicated in advance by your manager
- To maintain and respect the confidentiality of our customers and their personal information
- To follow all local and organisational policies and procedures, including, but not limited to, those relating to the safeguarding of vulnerable adults, health and safety, emergency procedures, infection prevention and control, code of conduct, staff handbook, dress code
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with all those involved with the service and to promote the standing and reputation of this within the local community
The above is not an exhaustive list and other duties e.g. laundry/kitchen assistance may be allocated as reasonably directed by the manager.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Qualifications: Level 2 Diploma in Care, Functional skills (if required).
The training will be carried out on site, 20% off the job hours will be allocated by your line manager.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
You will work towards your level 2 in adult care allowing you the skills and knowledge to work in a care setting. Once qualified you will have the chance to work towards a level 3 in adult care and work towards becoming a senior care assistant or support worker.
Reality CheckThe candidate must have the ability to demonstrate patience, compassion and a caring attitude.
Skills RequiredCommunication skills, Customer care skills, Administrative skills, Initiative, Patience, Compassionate
Qualifications RequiredGCSE or equivalent English and Maths (Grade 9-5/A*-D) Desired