Apprentice Building Surveyor
Portsmouth City Council
University of Portsmouth
Reference number - 2701 - 3339
Location - Portsmouth
Salary - Band 5 - 9: £19,619 - £34,787 p.a.
Job type/hours - Fixed Term Contract for 5 years - 37 hours per week
Closing date - 12:00 noon on 25th November 2019
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to join our Portsmouth CC and Gosport BC repairs and maintenance teams who aspires to be a Chartered Building Surveyor.
Candidates must be enthusiastic, good communicators and keen to develop their building surveying skills. You will have opportunities within the teams to gain building surveying experience whilst studying part time towards a RICS accredited Building Surveying degree at the University of Portsmouth.
You will be based within any one of our area offices initially working as part of either a Portsmouth CC or Gosport BC repairs and maintenance team.
You will be supporting our Building Surveyors who are carrying out a wide range of repairs surveying duties across our varied asset portfolio of over 18,000 housing dwellings together with corporate operational, commercial and community assets
You will be supporting us to maintain and improve our properties, ensure the right repair at the right time and help us provide suitable homes when needed.
Alongside part time day release study at the University of Portsmouth you will be gaining experience by assisting our Building Surveyors:
- Undertaking surveys of our assets
- Issuing repairs
- helping them prepare pre-contract information such as drawings and specifications of work
- You will also receive training to undertake Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) surveys and Fire Risk Assessments
- When you commence your RICS assessment of professional competence (APC) you will join our Property projects team and manage a varied range of your own projects
The type of projects the team carry out may include decorations to external and communal areas, fire upgrading work, window replacement, re-roofing, electrical work, extensions and structural repairs. The size of individual projects managed by you may range from £10,000 to £1,000,000 depending on your ability.
What we can offer?
A fully funded degree, training, practical work experiences and support in order to develop you into a Chartered Building Surveyor.
We are committed to helping you develop by providing a structured programme in conjunction with your studies at the University of Portsmouth.
At the start of your apprenticeship programme you will be trained to undertake energy performance certificate surveys and fire risk assessments, shadow other Building Surveyors in order to improve your knowledge of surveying and day to day repair issues.
- As you develop you will be given more responsibility and your own workload, this will initially be on rotation across our 3 repairs teams
- Once you are ready you will move to the Property Projects team where you will be allocated your own large scale refurbishment and conversion projects that you will lead and be responsible for from inception to completion
- This will involve the initial evaluation, surveys, developing the design and specifications, procuring of contractors and acting as contractor administrator for the works on site.
- You will be supervised day to day by a Senior Building Surveyor who will provide you with one to one assistance to quickly improve your building surveying knowledge and practical surveying skills
You will also be allocated a Senior Manager to act as your mentor throughout the entire apprentice process. They will provide overarching advice and guidance and ensure that you are getting the experience and support necessary to become a Chartered Surveyor. We also actively arrange CPD seminars to supplement your development.
Upon successfully completing your apprenticeship there are excellent opportunities within PCC for progression into a Building Surveyor role. In addition to a competitive salary we provide 26 days annual leave in addition to public holidays, provide flexible working arrangements and the option to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
Please see the full job profile online for more details on the role and who we are looking for, plus full details on the assessment and interview process.
An ongoing career in Building Surveying
- Good communicator
- Capability to undertake research
- Relevant experience of using all Microsoft packages
- Any knowledge and awareness of the building surveying role and skills will be an advantage.
- Either have a full driving licence and provide a car for work or have a commitment to learn to drive
- A desire to learn
112 UCAS points, this can include A levels or BTEC qualifications.
Typically, a surveying apprentice will work 5 days per week with 4 days in the workplace and 1 day at the University of Portsmouth.
- While working four days per week with us, you will gain the practical experience of supporting our Property surveying teams in the delivery of our projects
- The one day a week at university will be provided by University of Portsmouth. You will study for a BSc (Hons) degree which is accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.