Apprentice Bricklayer - Intermediate (Level 2)
St Leger Homes Of Doncaster Limited
If you’re looking for a high quality apprenticeship where you can earn whilst you learn – gaining experience and qualifications in a supportive and well established organisation, we’d love to hear from you!
Our craft apprenticeships scheme is one of the best. Over 97% of our past apprentices have gone on to secure a job with us, with many winning regional and national awards.
We’re looking for people with dedication and enthusiasm, who are committed to providing our customers with the best possible service and keen to achieve a professional qualification, gaining invaluable hands-on experience along the way.
In return, we’ll provide you with ongoing support, access to our in-house training programme and high-quality work experience in housing maintenance and repairs. Day to day, you’ll work on a range of different types of properties, undertaking repairs and improvement works to customers’ home and preparing empty properties ready for new tenants. This involves moving and handling equipment and materials, using a variety of tools, working at heights using ladders and scaffolding, and working outdoors – at all times of the year!
To succeed, you’ll demonstrate your ability for practical work, along with great communication skills, the ability to follow instructions and work as part of a team. You’ll also need to prove your commitment to work hard, attend college regularly and meet coursework deadlines.
This year, we’re offering 1 Bricklaying Apprenticeship with the opportunity to gain experience in that trade, whilst studying for an NVQ level 2 qualification. You’ll work under the supervision and direction of a dedicated mentor, giving you continual support and equipping you with the skills, knowledge, confidence and behaviours to progress and succeed in your trades’ career.
Apprentices commit to a 3 year apprenticeship.
Working alongside an experienced bricklayer, you’ll help support our responsive repairs, voids and planned maintenance teams to carry out all aspects of bricklaying work to our properties.
About St Leger Homes:
We are an award winning company who provides excellent property services across Doncaster. We provide a comprehensive management service to over 20,000 properties and strive to maintain excellent standards of service. We employ over 800 staff in a wide variety of roles, including apprenticeships and student placements. We work in partnership with Doncaster Council, our customers and other agencies to build confident communities.
We value our employees and we continually invest in the support and development of all our staff. Working here will offer you the chance to work in an exciting and rewarding environment, helping to provide a valued service to our employees and the community.
- Paid 3 year apprenticeship
- Starting salary of £9935 upwards (pay award pending) - depending on age
- One on One and team mentorship/support
- On the job training
- Paid college tuition fees
- Relevant external training and development
- 26 days paid annual leave
- Challenging and meaningful work with the opportunity to put your learning into practice
Please be aware that unfortunately we will be unable to accept an application if you have already achieved an NVQ Level 2 qualification in this trade. If you have any queries regarding, this then please e-mail SLHDR@stlegerhomes.co.uk
Applications from St. Leger Homes tenants and their families are welcome.
You will help deliver our corporate plan by:
- Being an integral part of works delivery team on repairs and planned maintenance works
- Ensure that our tenants and customers are treated with the upmost respect
- Assist with the delivery of our repairs and maintenance service while keeping tenants' homes safe
- Deliver excellent services to all our customers making a real difference to our tenants
- Display our values and behaviours at all times
As part of your day to day duties and responsibilities you will:
- Work alongside the Responsive Repairs, Voids and Planned Maintenance trades teams as required
- Carry out all aspects of internal/external bricklaying work to St Leger Homes properties
- Provide the highest standard of work and customer care by being polite, treating tenants and their homes with dignity and respect, maintaining excellent standards of work and always tidying up at the end of a job
- Complete electronic and paper records including stores requisitions, job sheets and time sheets using a mobile device as needed
Health, Safety and Wellbeing:
Work in a safe manner at all times, taking account of own and other’s health and wellbeing at all times.
- Working in accordance with St Leger Homes’ policies and safe systems of work at all times
- Undertaking risk assessments and method statements relating to own area of work
- Following relevant Health & Safety procedures, ensuring correct personal protective equipment is worn when undertaking work
- Setting up and tidying away at the start and end of a job, ensuring the customer’s home is always left safe and tidy
- Unloading and loading materials and equipment safely
- Undertaking work at heights using ladders and scaffolding as directed
- Using all plant and equipment with due care and attention
- Undertaking relevant Health & Safety training
- Reporting any health and safety concerns to a supervisor
- Understanding and compliance with risk assessments and method statements relating to own area of work
Qualifications, Learning and Development:
- To attend college and complete course work, tests and exams in order to achieve an NVQ Level 2 qualification within expected timescales
- To take part in ongoing apprentice reviews, complete any required training and develop the skills to work independently by the final year of the apprenticeship
- To make suggestions to work colleagues or your mentor/line manager on how we can improve our services and do things even better
- Work in a way that demonstrates St Leger Homes’ Values and Behaviours in practice
- Work flexibly in the interests of the service – this may include undertaking other duties provided that these are appropriate to the duties and responsibilities of the post
- The Safeguarding of children and adults is paramount to everything St Leger Homes delivers. All staff are expected to undergo training and then to identify and report all safeguarding concerns through the appropriate channels
A full intermediate apprenticeship standard including a vocationally based qualification and functional skills. The candidate will undergo a full assessment in maths and English at Doncaster College.
Apprentices commit to a 3 or 4 year apprenticeship depending on their chosen trade which includes studying towards an NVQ level 3.
This role is based in Doncaster.
- All applicants should consider the location of the job and look into whether it is within suitable travelling distance to them
- The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Experience of practical activities such as home DIY, housework, gardening, car maintenance or similar
- Good communication skills - confident communicator and able to deal with problems
- Good written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- The ability to plan and prioritise home, work and college commitments to meet agreed targets and deadlines
- Good numeracy and literacy skills, including the ability to complete paper and electronic records accurately
- Organisational skills including the ability to plan and prioritise home, work and college commitments to meet agreed targets and deadlines
- Ability to work as part of a team and support colleagues - team worker
- An awareness of the work of a bricklayer
- An awareness of the services St Leger Homes provides, including our repairs and maintenance service
- A basic appreciation of health and safety at work and why this is important
- A basic appreciation of equality, diversity and fairness
- Ability to understand and follow instructions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality where necessary
- Able to be flexible in work activities, location
- Personable and comfortable in dealing with new people including tenants, tradesmen, and other colleagues
- Be conscientious, diligent and show attention to detail
- Takes pride in own work and respond positively to new ideas and changes to the way we work
- Ability to work on own initiative and be a self -starter
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Flexible approach to dealing with and adapting to change
- Committed to providing excellent customer service
- Ability to respect confidentiality and recognise the importance of data protection
- Passionate about beginning a career in the housing sector
- Committed to working in ways that demonstrate our Values and Behaviours at all times
- Committed to undertaking an apprenticeship
- Enthusiastic and committed to learning and a positive and flexible attitude and approach to work
- Commitment and willingness to attend college regularly and undertake a NVQ Level 2 qualification (including functional maths and English if not already attained)
- Excellent record of attending school or college attendance of completing coursework
- 3 GCSEs or an equivalent qualification including grade A–C/ 8-4 in maths & English -please note this is desirable, but applicants will be taken on a case by case basis
- We have an excellent record of training and developing our apprentices and many gain permanent jobs with us
- Full qualification in Intermediate Bricklaying level two
- Functional Skills as required
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.