Our tech team is comprised of world leading scientists and informaticians developing the state-of-the-art methodologies that drive the discovery of novel antibody therapeutics. As an apprentice bioinformatician, you will join our tech team and learn to help organise, visualise and analyse the data we collect. The role will interface with different parts of the business, both within the tech team and across research departments.
We are looking for candidates with excellent communication skills who rise to tough technical challenges. Alchemab is a highly collaborative company, and technical skill is valued highly alongside the ability to collaborate with colleagues.
Your duties will include:
- Introducing new features and fixing bugs in our data processing and quality control pipelines
- Keeping our data clean and up-to-date by helping with data ingestion and data management
- Shepherding data through the company by running pipelines and troubleshooting pipeline failures
- Becoming an expert in the cloud processing of genomics data. Eventually helping to design new modules of our cloud platform
Alchemab is a young company with a big future. We want to foster the next generation of Bioinformatics talent and there is a possibility for full time employment after the course. More broadly, the training received at Alchemab will set a strong foundation for a successful career in the growing fields of bioinformatics and data science.
Alchemab puts great store in creating a harmonious and happy work environment, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Accordingly, the company frequently organises additional perks such as meals at home and other team building rewards for good work.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
- Strong communication skills: an ability to discuss very hard problems with an open and constructive mindset
- A thirst for knowledge of biotech and bioinformatics. We’re looking for someone who wants to become an expert
- The ability to commute to our Cambridgeshire based offices
- Some basic programming knowledge
- Some basic database knowledge
- Good attention to detail
- 112 UCAS points or equivalent.
- A level Grade B (or equivalent) in at least one STEM subject, Maths desirable.
- At least 4 GCSEs at Grade B/Grade 6 which must include Maths and English.
- If English is not your first language, you will be expected to demonstrate a certified level of proficiency of at least IELTS 6.5 or equivalent.
You will complete a BSc (Hon) Bioinformatics Degree Apprenticeship through our training partner Anglia Ruskin University.
In addition to achieving this highly specialised and sought after qualification, our in-house training will cover:
- Software development and programming: learn how to write rigorous, beautiful code with expert programmers with over 10 years’ experience of computer science and software engineering
- Bioinformatics: The candidate will learn algorithm design and data management directly from PhD and post-doctoral level bioinformaticians, each with more than a decade of experience
- Antibody science: Alchemab has some of the world’s foremost antibody drug discovery experts. Our experts give monthly seminars on a range of topics from therapeutic discovery, to how to build a successful startup