Apprentice Accounts Assistant
John Taylor Hospice Community Interest Co
BIRMINGHAM METROPOLITAN COLLEGE
The Finance Assistant (FA) will have a varied role as part of a small team dealing with many aspects of the finance function to ensure smooth running and a good service for all users and the business. The FA must be able to work effectively with people internally and externally such as donors and suppliers.
The role will not solely focus on finance but may be required to assist with reporting and analysis of clinical data. The accurate collection and application of clinical and financial data are fundamental to commercial, clinical and employee decision-making processes. Day to day direction will be provided by the Finance Manager and the CFO.
Support will be given to gain a recognised accountancy qualification. Support could include time to study during office hours and/or contribution by the CIC towards the cost of training. As a CIC employee you are an owner of your company.
The company standards are as high as those in a large Acute Foundation NHS trust. The ability to work as a team player and to collaborate effectively across teams is a rewarding and fundamental component of the role.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
Delivering positive community benefit:
- Ensuring costs are properly authorised and coded in line with designated budgets
- Ensure payment of suppliers is in line with agreed timescales
Fundraising and Communications:
- Support the community investment crew in organising cash counting
- Recording all donations on to Fundraising spreadsheet
- Reconciliation of donor and grant funding in SAGE to Donorflex
- Manage the purchase order process and purchase ledger and consider ways to improve process including entering supplier invoices and dealing with their queries. Preparing supplier runs
Credit card analysis:
- Assist the Finance Manager with sales order process and bank reconciliation process
- Assist budget holders to understand their costs including drill-down into SAGE accounting system to analyse costs incurred. Monthly meetings with procurement officer and other budget holders to produce accruals
- Reconciliation of accounts payable to supplier statements
- Control account reconciliations on monthly basis
- Petty Cash reconciliation on monthly basis
- Reception sales and café sales counting and recording on sage
Corporate and commercial role:
- Assist Finance Manager in maintenance of the fixed asset register and posting of depreciation
- Investigate incidents as required
- Post distribution
- Assist with ad-hoc duties relating to any commercial activities e.g. cash takings analysis and reconciliation
- Produce the commissioners report monthly from SystmOne for the CFO to present to the CCGs as per their requirements
- Produce the activity report from SystmOne on a monthly basis for the Finance Manager to produce Cost and Volume sales invoices
- Training will be given to run reports from SystmOne
- AAT Study Support
This is a training position linked to academic progression through the AAT qualification. Opportunities will be given at an appropriate level to broaden experience, carrying out duties across both the financial services and financial management functions.
Potential of a full-time position within this organisation upon completion of this apprenticeship.
As part of this apprenticeship, you will be required to travel to both the employer location Erdington and also attend college Sutton Coldfield.
Please ensure that you have researched your travel arrangements and are happy with the time it will take, and distance required to travel, before you apply for this vacancy.
Are you aware you will be relied upon to attend work every day?
- Experience of working in a busy finance department
- Excel skills
- Sage experience or experience of another accounting package
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent numerical skills
- Confidentiality is very important
- Excellent team working skills
- Personal and professional integrity
- Highly motivated and customer focussed
- Resilient, enthusiastic and motivated
- Commitment to provision of quality services and commercialism with a conscience
- Committed to providing accurate and timely information to a high standard
- Drive, enthusiasm, resilience determination and commitment
- Good sense of humour and compassion
- Ability to develop strong working relationships
- Can maintain intense concentration for analysis and problem solving
- Corporate loyalty
- Adaptability to changing structures or situations
5 GCSEs including English and maths or equivalent qualifications.
Level 3 Assistant Accountant apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Level 1/2 functional skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.