Admin Apprentice - Children Services/Dene Park House/Hexham
Northumberland County Council
THE NORTHUMBERLAND COUNCIL
Northumberland County Council operates a huge range of services across the largest county in the UK. Local Government’s ongoing challenges and the diversity of our residents means we have to work smarter. That’s why we want bold, creative and agile thinkers who can help us move forward and innovate.
Dene Park House is based in Hexham, west of Northumberland and is Children Service's west locality team. The successful apprentice will be based within the safeguarding team providing suitable admin support.
Children’s services are responsible for supporting and protecting vulnerable children. This includes providing children and their families with extra help. Where children are thought to be at risk of harm, children’s services will take steps which aim to make sure they are kept safe.
This is a highly sensitive role and requires a high level of discretion and clear thinking. The applicant should be a good communicator, have excellent listening skills, professional in their approach to work. Good time keeping is essential and the ability to learn new systems and processes is imperative.
The role includes assisting the social workers with admin tasks - photocopying, updating the system with sensitive information, ordering stationary, opening and logging post, answering telephone calls, scanning, recording information accurately.
The role and essential requirements:
- Complete administration work that supports the needs of the department
- To provide an effective and efficient service to internal and external customers
- Understand who customers are and the difference between internal and external customers
- Obtain customer feedback and evaluate
- To deal with customers face to face and on the telephone
- Receive telephone calls from internal and external customers, deal with visitors, take messages and answer straightforward enquiries in accordance with service standards
- Provide general office services such as photocopying, collation, laminating and binding in accordance with guidelines
- Prepare and present a range of documents such as correspondence and emails to an agreed standard
- Operate general office equipment, maintaining stocks of consumables, booking service calls to ensure continuity of service
- Enter data into spreadsheets, databases and other electronic information systems, extract and distribute information as directed ensuring accuracy and confidentiality
- Maintain information systems such as filing, client or asset records, booking systems and reference materials ensuring accuracy, confidentiality, ease of use and access
- Deal with incoming and outgoing post in accordance with established procedures
- Carry out all mandatory training
- Cover some duties of other administrative staff within the department during times of annual leave and sickness as required
Other duties appropriate to the nature, level and grade of the post
Please see attached Job Description for further details.
Possible progression onto Level 3 or Full time employment, depending on the enthusiasm of the person.
Must attend screening session before application put forward to employer
We are offering:
Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme (or other pension scheme)
A wide range of staff benefits including a competitive annual leave provision
Level 2 NVQ in Business Administration
For more information on the Councils Apprenticeship opportunities, please click here: https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Education/Apprenticeships.aspx
Please note that successful applicants must be able to attend a Gateway session before application can be put forward to employer.
For any further information, please contact Robyn Legender on 01670 622104 for an informal discussion.
Northumberland County Council is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all sectors of the community. If you require any further information on this or for more details working for Northumberland County Council, please click here: http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/working
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to attend interview please contact on the above number
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets and databases
- Able to follow instructions and procedures with guidance
- Ability to plan and organise daily work routines with guidance
- Adaptable and able to deal with changing priorities
- Supportive and effective team player
- Ability to engage with service users and members of the public
- Clear and logical thinking required to deal positively with problems occurring within the normal work routine with guidance
- Reliable and keeps good time
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for obtaining an administration related qualification
- Demonstrates integrity and upholds values and principles
- Promotes equal opportunities and diversity in all aspects of work
- Appropriately follows instructions to achieve set objectives
- Works collaboratively to achieve team spirit
- Adapts to change by adopting a flexible and cooperative attitude
- Good awareness of confidentiality and how to apply
- 3 GCSEs at Grade C or above, or equivalent including maths, English, and ICT
- Support will be given if you have not achieved this level
- Level 2 Business Admin Qualification
- Functional Skills Level 1 in maths and English
Sign up for apprenticeship alerts - its free
People who applied for this apprenticeship also applied for:
This page contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0. The information provider is the Education and Skills Funding Agency.